Friday, April 13, 2007

Questionnaire for HURRICANE SOCK PARTY 2007

1. Repeat after me "no hurricanes, no hurricanes, no hurricanes" . Okay we just had to get that one out of the way first. We needed to created a bit of "good weather karma"! GRIN
No hurricanes, no hurricanes, no hurricanes!!!
2. If your pet(s) wrote a paragraph about you to describe you to us what would they say?
She's a control freak (or maybe it's just penny pinching) - but I don't understand why won't she give me more food if my bowl isn't empty. It's a misconception that dogs will eat anything. I leave the green pieces 'cause I don't like the green pieces! And when I take those green ones out and leave them around the house, they end up back in my bowl! But I suppose she does love me - she knitted me that sweater after I had to get all of my hair shaved off
3. What is your favorite hurricane supplies snack?
Anything that stays good in the pantry - especially candy! Jelly Bellys are great because you can get a balanced meal without eating anything else! But you do need some salt to balance out a Jelly Belly meal, so serve Pringles as a side dish. And just to make sure you get some grains, Ritz Bitz Smores sandwiches work well for dessert. Now if you want an alternative to the Jelly belly diet, beef jerky (no msg) and dried fruit make great snacks as well!
4. Do sock patterns normally fit you "as written" or do you usually modify them for size in any way?
I don't know. I've never knitted a pair of socks for myself.
4a. What are your foot measurements, not just shoe size?
Shoe size: 9 1/2 in women's; Length of foot from heel to toe: 10 inches; Around the ball of the foot: 9 1/2 inches - Anything else?
5. What one city abroad would you visit and why if money was no object?
Hmmm... Just one city? How about an area? Nova Scotia/Prince Edward Island - because I read Anne of Green Gables.
6. Do you wear socks all year round or just during the winter? Do you prefer them tall or short or regular height?
I generally wear socks during the winter, but my feet get cold easily, so I do wear them in the summer if the a/c makes my toes numb. I think I generally like decorative/fun socks to be tall rather than short (short ones - under the ankle - are good for wearing with tennis shoes).
7. The last time the power was out during hurricane season (or bad weather of any kind) did you knit by lantern or were you lucky enough to knit to the humm of a generator? Or did you knit at all?
I didn't have any knitting projects going during the last hurricane (and we didn't lose power - praise God!).
8. Make a wish for your favorite sock yarn that you've already used once. What would it be? ? Dont be shy about listing an exact colorway or two if you'd like.
I'm just starting to experiment with new yarns, but I think the bamboo yarn from Berroco looks NICE (maybe in a tan/cream color?) and the Cascade Fixation yarns look really comfy (but not in super-girly colors).
9. What is it about sock knitting that keeps you wanting to knit more and more socks?
They're quick, you get a sense of accomplishment, they fit in a small bag and baby socks are SOOOO cute!
10. Make a wish for a sock yarn that you are dying to try but haven't bought for yourself yet.
I don't know enough about all of the yarn options - but I suppose it would come from hoighty toighty (is that how you spell it) yarn store as opposed to a discount craft store. :-)
11. What size needles do you knit socks for YOURSELF with the most? Are they circular or bamboo needles? What brand?
I'm starting on a pair of socks with a set of Brittany size 3 double pointed needles "made in Northern California of sustainably harvested domestic birch hardwood" (with a 5 year replacement guarantee!).
12. If you could only take 3 yarn related books and one previously knitted project that you love with you when you evacuated what would they be?
I'd grab World of Knitted Toys by Kath Dalmeny, Easy Knitted Accessories by Jeanette Trotman and Knits for Barbie Doll by Nicky Epstein (since I promised my sister I'd make some clothes for her Barbies). I can't think of any previous projects that I'm dying to make again...
13. What knitting notion do you wish you had that you just keep putting off getting for yourself?
I would like to get some kind of organizational tote that's not too big that has pockets and zippers for all kinds of tools and yarn, and if I can stand it up next to my recliner, even better! I haven't really had a chance to shop around for one...
14. What is your favorite tv show?
Survivor
15. Do you want a lacey sock or a "solid fabric" sock from your hurricane partner?
I think I'd prefer a solid fabric sock.
16. It's midnight and the power has been off for two days, its hot, and you have a craving for something sweet! What would it be?
See #3. And those Bunny Basket Eggs that Brach's makes for Easter are awesome! Oh, and how could I forget cherry sour balls?!!! And if you dabble in the chocolate category, Cadbury Fruit and Nut bars and Dove milk chocolates are great! But chocolate melts. :-(
17. Tell us a story about any of your hurricane weather related experiences.
My family was living in Boynton Beach (Palm Beach County) when Hurricane Andrew hit Homestead. I was in Indiana at college on a camping weekend and didn't even know there was a major hurricane on the edge of Florida. One of the workers at the camp happened to mention that there was a hurricane that was going to hit Florida and I about fell over. I had to drive to a convenient store to get to a pay phone to call home to see what was going on. My mom was nonchalantly filling the bathtub with water and commented, "Yeah, I was at the store and someone mentioned that there was a hurricane, so I picked up a few more batteries and some canned food." She's lived in Florida a while.
18. What was the one thing you wish you had remembered to get last year for hurricane supplies that you swore you wouldn't forget this year?
I forgot.
19. What color sock would you like to recieve from your sock partner?
No real preference, but no super-girly or super-bright colors (pink, lavendar, turquoise, etc.). I like subtle and/or neutral colors.
I guess that's it - I hope you've enjoyed reading! Happy knitting! Carole

No comments: